Return to Sender:
Postcard-only Mail Policies in Jails
by Leah Sakala
February 7, 2013
- On March 8, 2013, more than 50 local and national organizations submitted a letter to the Santa Barbara County Sheriff calling on him to halt implementation of a postcard-only jail mail policy (press release).
- In September 2014, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department announced that it has ended the ban.
- The residents of Santa Clara County, California stood up to their sheriff for proposing a postcard-only policy:
"To Whom It May Concern: Community Forum on Policy to Restrict Mail to Jails," by Fernando Perez, Silicon Valley De-Bug.
- On August 8th, 2013 the Santa Clara Sheriff announced he was scrapping the plan to ban letters in the local jail.
Jail postcard-only Policies in the news
- Postcard-only jail mail policy should be canceled, letter to the editor by Peter Wagner, Ionia Sentinel-Standard (Michigan), September 26, 2014
- Agreement Reached Ending Unconstitutional Postcard-Only Mail Policy at Flagler County Jail, ACLU of Florida press release, May 1, 2014
- ACLU challenges Wyandotte County Jail’s postcard-only policy for inmates, by Mark Morris, Kansas City Star, October 1, 2013
- Hillsborough jails to limit incoming inmate mail to postcards, by Jessica Vander Velde, Tampa Bay Times, August 17, 2013
- Santa Clara County jail inmates will continue receiving mail, by Joe Rodriguez, San Jose Mercury News, August 9, 2013
- Community Activists Cite Civil Rights Concerns with Jail Mail Policy Changes, by Jennifer Wadsworth, San Jose Inside, July 17, 2013
- Don't limit inmates to postcards, Leah Sakala, letter to the editor in the Sun Herald (Gulfport, Mississippi), June 12, 2013
- Jail officials brace for public meeting on restrictive mail policy, by Tracey Kaplan, Mercury News, June 4, 2013
- All mail at Santa Clara County jail to be limited to small postcards, by Tracey Kaplan, Mercury News, May 18, 2013
- Jail drops postcard-only mail policy, by Ray King, The Commercial (Pine Bluff, Arkansas), May 17, 2013
- Restricting inmates' mail unconstitutional, federal judge rules in Columbia County Jail case, AP, The Oregonian, April 25, 2013
- PLN prevails in challenge to postcard-only policy at Columbus County, OR jail, Human Rights Defense Center press release, April 25, 2013
- Flagler sheriff hashing out deal over jail-mail lawsuit, by Julie Murphy, News Journal (Daytona Beach, Florida), March 14, 2013
- Return to Sender, Leah Sakala, letter to the editor printed in The Independent, March 8, 2013
- Lawsuit filed over jail’s postcard-only policy, by Megan Hoye, Palm Coast Observer, February 27, 2013
- ACLU suing Flagler over jail mail policy, by Julie Murphy, News-Journal (Daytona Beach, Florida), February 20, 2013
- Update on first case challenging postcard-only mail policies to go to trial in From the Editor, by Paul Wright Prison Legal News, February, 2013 (page 7)
Other resources on postcard-only jail mail policies
- Letter from Kim Horiuchi, ACLU of Northern California, to the Sacramento County Sheriff, February 15, 2013