Beyond producing original research, the Prison Policy Initiative edits several databases to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy. This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new research clearinghouse updates.
- Civil Rights (101) Racial and other disparities
- Community Impact (50) Impact of the justice system on communities, includes housing, employment
- Crime and Crime Rates (240) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Data Collection (62) A meta analysis of data collection systems
- Death Penalty (123) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Drug Policy (120) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Education (54) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (40) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (73) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (7) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (38) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Immigration Detainees (30) Immigration detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (311)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (39)
- Jails (68) Information and data on jails
- Juveniles (263) Juvenile justice and the prison system’s effect on kids
- Mental Health (56) Mental Health in the prison system: policy and practice
- Police and Policing Practices (75) Includes Stop and Frisk and other practices
- Pretrial Detention (21) Exploring cost and outcome of detaining people before trial or deportation (ie. instead of bail or other alternatives)
- Prison Gerrymandering (32) Research on prison-based gerrymandering (see also www.prisonersofthecensus.org)
- Prison Privatization (40)
- Prison Procedures (55)
- Prison Programs (31) Programming available for incarcerated populations
- Prison and The Economy (136) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Prisoner Labor (6) Work done in prison by incarcerated populations
- Prisoner Welfare (134) Wellbeing of incarcerated population: policies and statistics
- Public Opinion (40)
- Recidivism and Reentry (143) What makes people more or less likely to succeed upon release?
- Sentencing Policy (82) Relating to sentencing policy.
- Trials (102) Statistics about the court system and its processes
- Women (66) Impact of the justice system on women
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Friday, April 17 2015:
- Status Offenses: A National Survey, [PDF] Coalition for Juvenile Justice SOS Project. April, 2015.
- NC Traffic Stops The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. April, 2015.
- Evidence-Based Practice to Reduce Recidivism: Implications for State Judiciaries, [PDF] National Institute of Corrections. August, 2007.
Wednesday, April 15 2015:
- National Gunfire Index [PDF] SST. March, 2015.
Friday, April 10 2015:
- Not Just a Ferguson Problem: How Traffic Courts Drive Inequality in California, Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area. March, 2015.
Thursday, April 9 2015:
- U.S. Prison Population Trends: Broad Variation Among States in Recent Years, [PDF] Sentencing Project. March, 2015.
- Moving Beyond Incarceration for Women in Massachusetts: The Necessity of Bail/Pretrial Reform, [PDF] Wellesley Centers for Women. March, 2015.
Wednesday, April 8 2015:
- The Processing and Treatment of Mentally Ill Persons in the Criminal Justice System: A Scan of Practice and Background Analysis, [PDF] Urban Institute. March, 2015.
Monday, April 6 2015:
- Juvenile Residential Facility Census, 2012: Selected Findings, [PDF] Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. March, 2015.