This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new clearinghouse updates.
- Civil Rights (96) Racial and other disparities
- Community Impact (48) Impact of the justice system on communities, includes housing, employment
- Crime and Crime Rates (235) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Data Collection (62) A meta analysis of data collection systems
- Death Penalty (121) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Drug Policy (116) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Education (51) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (34) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (73) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (7) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (36) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Immigration Detainees (29) Immigration detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (292)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (38)
- Jails (65) Information and data on jails
- Juveniles (248) Juvenile justice and the prison system’s effect on kids
- Mental Health (54) Mental Health in the prison system: policy and practice
- Police and Policing Practices (68) Includes Stop and Frisk and other practices
- Pretrial Detention (21) Exploring cost and outcome of detaining people before trial or deportation (ie. instead of bail or other alternatives)
- Prison Gerrymandering (32) Research on prison-based gerrymandering (see also www.prisonersofthecensus.org)
- Prison Privatization (39)
- Prison Procedures (54)
- Prison Programs (30) Programming available for incarcerated populations
- Prison and The Economy (131) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Prisoner Labor (6) Work done in prison by incarcerated populations
- Prisoner Welfare (129) Wellbeing of incarcerated population: policies and statistics
- Public Opinion (38)
- Recidivism and Reentry (133) What makes people more or less likely to succeed upon release?
- Sentencing Policy (81) Relating to sentencing policy.
- Trials (97) Statistics about the court system and its processes
- Women (63) Impact of the justice system on women
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Wednesday, December 17 2014:
- Over A Million Dollars A Day: The Daily Waste of the NYPD's Misdemeanor Arrest Practices, [PDF] Police Reform Organizing Project. December, 2014.
- Conviction Integrity Units: Vanguard of Criminal Justice Reform, [PDF] Center for Prosecutor Integrity. December, 2014.
Monday, December 15 2014:
- Public Opinion on Juvenile Justice in America [PDF] The Pew Charitable Trusts. November, 2014.
Friday, December 12 2014:
- Improving outcomes for young black and/or Muslim men in the Criminal Justice System, [PDF] The Young Review. December, 2014.
Thursday, December 11 2014:
- Rape and Sexual Assault Victimization Among College-Age Females, 1995-2013 [PDF] Bureau of Justice Statistics. December, 2014.
Wednesday, December 10 2014:
- Hate Crime Statistics, 2013 Federal Bureau of Investigation. 2014.
Tuesday, December 9 2014:
- Gun Possession among American Youth: A Discovery-Based Approach to Understand Gun Violence, PLOS ONE. November, 2014.
- Sticker Shock: Calculating the Full Price Tag for Youth Incarceration, Justice Policy Institute. December, 2014.
Monday, December 8 2014:
- Law enforcement duties and sudden cardiac death among police officers in the United States: case distribution study, [PDF] British Medical Journal. November, 2014.
Saturday, December 6 2014:
- Bridging the Divide: A new paradigm for addressing safety, crime, and victimization, [PDF] Equal Justice USA. November, 2014.
Friday, December 5 2014:
- Ten Economic Facts about Crime and Incarceration in the United States [PDF] The Hamilton Project. May, 2014.
- Still Buried Alive: Arizona Prisoner Testimonies on Isolation in Maximum-Security, [PDF] American Friends Service Committee. December, 2014.
- One Strike and You're Out: How We Can Eliminate Barriers to Economic Security and Mobility for People with Criminal Records, [PDF] Center for American Progress. December, 2014.
Thursday, December 4 2014:
- The Rise in State Prison Populations Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. December, 2014.
- Public Ideology, Minority Threat, and Felony Collateral Sanctions: A State-Level Analysis, University of Delaware, Department of Sociology & Criminal Justice. July, 2014.