This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new clearinghouse updates.
- Civil Rights (99) Racial and other disparities
- Community Impact (48) Impact of the justice system on communities, includes housing, employment
- Crime and Crime Rates (239) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Data Collection (62) A meta analysis of data collection systems
- Death Penalty (122) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Drug Policy (119) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Education (54) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (37) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (73) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (7) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (36) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Immigration Detainees (29) Immigration detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (306)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (38)
- Jails (67) Information and data on jails
- Juveniles (258) Juvenile justice and the prison system’s effect on kids
- Mental Health (55) Mental Health in the prison system: policy and practice
- Police and Policing Practices (71) Includes Stop and Frisk and other practices
- Pretrial Detention (21) Exploring cost and outcome of detaining people before trial or deportation (ie. instead of bail or other alternatives)
- Prison Gerrymandering (32) Research on prison-based gerrymandering (see also www.prisonersofthecensus.org)
- Prison Privatization (40)
- Prison Procedures (55)
- Prison Programs (31) Programming available for incarcerated populations
- Prison and The Economy (135) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Prisoner Labor (6) Work done in prison by incarcerated populations
- Prisoner Welfare (133) Wellbeing of incarcerated population: policies and statistics
- Public Opinion (39)
- Recidivism and Reentry (139) What makes people more or less likely to succeed upon release?
- Sentencing Policy (82) Relating to sentencing policy.
- Trials (99) Statistics about the court system and its processes
- Women (65) Impact of the justice system on women
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Tuesday, March 3 2015:
- Sex Offender Registries: Fear without Function?, University of Chicago. February, 2011.
- Interim Report of The President's Task Force on 21st Century Policing [PDF] President's Task Force on 21st Century Policing. March, 2015.
- Federal Bureau of Prisons: Special Housing Unit Review and Assessment, [PDF] CNA. December, 2014.
Monday, March 2 2015:
- Boxed Out: Criminal History Screening and College Application Attrition, Center for Community Alternatives. March, 2015.
- The Use of Criminal History Records in College Admissions Reconsidered [PDF] Center for Community Alternatives. November, 2010.
- A Billion Dollars and Growing: Why Prison Bonding is Tougher on Florida's Taxpayers Than on Crime, [PDF] Collins Center for Public Policy; Florida TaxWatch. April, 2011.
Friday, February 27 2015:
- State Criminal Justice Advocacy in a Conservative Environment [PDF] Sentencing Project. February, 2015.
- A Solitary Failure: The Waste, Cost and Harm of Solitary Confinement, ACLU of Texas. February, 2015.
- The State of Sentencing 2014: Developments in Policy and Practice, [PDF] Sentencing Project. February, 2015.
Thursday, February 26 2015:
- Changes in State Imprisonment Rates 2012-13 Brennan Center for Justice. September, 2014.
- Juvenile Offenders and Victims: 2014 National Report, [PDF] National Center for Juvenile Justice. December, 2014.
- Defunding State Prisons [PDF] Santa Clara University School of Law. December, 2014.
Wednesday, February 25 2015:
- The Right Investment?: Corrections Spending in Baltimore City Justice Policy Institute; Prison Policy Initiative. February, 2015.
Monday, February 23 2015:
- An Expanding Strike Zone: Coleman-Bey and the Future of Civil Protections for Prison Inmates, [PDF] Alliance for Justice. February, 2015.
Friday, February 20 2015:
- Adult and Juvenile Correctional Population Projections [PDF] The State of Texas Legislative Budget Board. February, 2015.
Thursday, February 19 2015:
- Gang Membership Between Ages 5 and 17 Years in the United States [PDF] Journal of Adolescent Health. November, 2014.
- The School-to-Prison Pipeline in Black and White [PDF] ACLU of Rhode Island. February, 2015.
- Medical Problems of State and Federal Prisoners and Jail Inmates, 2011-12 [PDF] Bureau of Justice Statistics. February, 2015.
Wednesday, February 18 2015: