Beyond producing original research, the Prison Policy Initiative edits several databases to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy. This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new research clearinghouse updates.
- Community Impact (157) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (261)
- Crime and Crime Rates (320) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (145) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (8)
- Drug Policy (166) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (200) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (92) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (96) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (83) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (61) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (44) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (89) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (43) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (400)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (48)
- Jails (158) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Monday, January 22 2018:
- Cruel & Usual Punishment:
Excessive Use of Force at the Estelle Unit,
[PDF] Prison Justice League.
- A Texas Sized Failure:
Sexual Assaults in Texas Prisons,
Prison Justice League & the Texas Association Against Sexual Assault.
- A "Rigged System":
How the Texas Grievance System Fails Prisoners and the Public,
Prison Justice League.
- Designed to Fail:
The President's Deference to the Department of Justice in Advancing Criminal Justice Reform,
Rachel E. Barkow and Mark Osler.
- Pretrial Detention Reform:
Recommendations to the Chief Justice,
Judicial Branch of California Pretrial Detention Reform Workgroup.
- One War. Two Races.
Bias Reigns in Florida's War on Drugs,
Thursday, January 11 2018:
- Court Fines and Fees:
Criminalizing Poverty in North Carolina,
North Carolina Poverty Research Fund.
Wednesday, January 10 2018:
- The Gender Divide:
Tracking women's state prison growth,
Prison Policy Initiative.
Monday, January 8 2018: