Looking for resources about COVID-19 and the criminal justice system?
See our regularly-updated coronavirus page.
Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- Community Impact (185) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (298)
- Crime and Crime Rates (342) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (156) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (17)
- Drug Policy (201) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (239) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (113) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (112) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (97) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (96) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (46) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (185) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (61) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (436)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (53)
- Jails (202) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Wednesday, October 21 2020:
Tuesday, October 20 2020:
- Locked Out 2020:
Estimates of People Denied Voting Rights Due to a Felony Conviction,
- Voting with a Criminal Record
How Registration Forms Frustrate Democracy,
- Challenging Jail-Based Disenfranchisement:
A Resource Guide for Advocates,
Campaign Legal Center.
- Voting in California Jails:
A community toolkit,
ACLU of Northern California.
- Jails in Indian Country, 2017-2018
Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- NYPD Officer Misconduct Analysis
New York University's Public Safety Lab.
- Criminal Justice System Involvement and Food Insufficiency:
Findings from the 2018 New York City Community Health Survey, Paywall :(
AlexanderTesta and Dylan B.Jackson.
- The Treatment-Industrial Complex:
Alternative Corrections, Private Prison Companies, and Criminal Justice Debt,
Laura I Appleman.
- Woke Retailers -- This You?
Corporations That Embraced Criminal Justice Reform Rhetoric Have Been Fueling Mass Incarceration,
- Improving Health Equity for Women Involved in the Criminal Legal System
Golembeski et al..
- Specialized Parole and Resentencing Laws Focused on Emerging Adults:
New and proposed reforms in CA, IL, CO, D.C., and FL,
Emerging Adult Justice Project.
Friday, October 9 2020: