Looking for resources about COVID-19 and the criminal justice system?
See our regularly-updated coronavirus page.
Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- Community Impact (175) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (292)
- Crime and Crime Rates (339) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (153) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (16)
- Drug Policy (197) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (234) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (111) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (110) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (90) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (90) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (46) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (154) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (58) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (429)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (52)
- Jails (196) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Wednesday, March 4 2020:
- Changing Course in the Overdose Crisis:
Moving from Punishment to Harm Reduction and Health,
Vera Institute of Justice.
- Incarcerated Adults with Dependent Children
Daniel M. Leeds, Juliana Pearson, Simone Robers, and Leslie Scott.
- From Decarceration to E-Carceration
- Restorative Prosecution?
Rethinking Responses to Violence,
Olivia Dana and Sherene Crawford.
- County-level jail incarceration and preterm birth among non-Hispanic Black and white U.S. women, 1999-2015
Jaquelyn L. Jahn, Jarvis T. Chen, Madina Agenor, Nancy Krieger.
- After Cash Bail:
A Framework for Reimagining Pretrial Justice,
The Bail Project.
- Driving While Black and Latinx:
Stops, Fines, Fees, and Unjust Debts,
New York Law School Racial Justice Project.
- Women in Prison:
Seeking Justice Behind Bars,
U.S. Commission on Civil Rights.