Articles by PPI staff:
- Census Bureau Contributes to Prison-based Gerrymandering, by Leah Sakala, Race, Poverty and the Environment Vol. 18 No. 2, Urban Habitat, December 2011
- Prisons Warp the Vote, by Brett Blank, TomPaine.com, January 8, 2008
- Prisoners of the Census.org unveiled June 30, 2003 and updated at least weekly with factsheets, maps and more than 100 essays.
- Diluting democracy: Census quirk fuels prison expansion, [PDF], 1 page factsheet, April 2004
- Exclude prisoners from local redistricting submitted to Daily Freeman, Greene County, New York, February 3, 2003
- Locked up, then counted out: Prisoners and the census, published in the Winter 2002-2003 issue of Fortune News.
- Census Quirk Sustains New York’s Love Affair with Prisons published in the August 2002 issue of the Albany NY’s Center for Law and Justice newsletter.
- Testimony before the New York State Legislative Task Force on Demographic Research and Reapportionment, March 14, 2002. Prepared testimony: in HTML or PDF format. Or read the Transcript
- Patting down the data on racial profiling in New York City, by Peter Wagner, Prison Law Blog, May 10, 2012
- Facts about crime [PDF] 1 page factsheet written with the Arizona American Friends Service Committee, 2004
- Memo to Ohio’s Joint Agency Rule Review Committee on proposed changes to Ohio’s inmate rules of conduct, January 6, 2004.
- Comments on proposed changes to Ohio’s inmate rules of conduct submitted to the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction on November 24, 2003
- “Do no harm” or “Do no expense”? Ohio’s prisoners are dying from inadequate medical care, November, 2003
- International Law and Prisoner Health November, 2003
- Letter Urging the Massachusetts Department of Corrections to not subject prison visitors to dog searches, sent March 21, 2013
- Letter to the ABA Justice Kennedy Commission sent November 3, 2003
- California’s budget secret: Prisoners form core of forest fire fighting army, October 2003
- Massachusetts Disenfranchises its Prisoners November 2000, written for Mass Dissent
- Incarceration is not a solution to mental illness April 2000, written for Mass Dissent
- Incarceration is not an equal opportunity punishment, July, 2012
- Patting down the data on racial profiling in New York City, May 2012
- Racial Disparities in North Carolina prisons
- Ohio’s priorities? Graphs about racial disparities in incarceration and how Ohio spends its limited tax dollars.
- An Expensive Way to Make Bad People Worse: An Essay On Prison Reform from an Insider’s Perspective book review, April 2005
- Crime Control as Industry book review, May 2002
Rural prisons & Prison expansion
- North Carolina prison construction September 2003
- Thirty-Two Years After Attica: Many More Blacks in Prison but not as Guards published on Alternet, September 25, 2003
Sentencing enhancement zones
- Smart on crime, letter to the editor, from Peter Wagner, Boston Herald, Feb 4, 2011
- School Zone Laws Don’t Work, by Peter Wagner (letter), Valley Advocate, March 12, 2009.
- PRRAC Researcher Report: Sentencing Enhancement Zones Fail to Protect Children, by Aleks Kajstura & Peter Wagner Poverty & Race November/December 2008.