This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new clearinghouse updates.
- Civil Rights (98) Racial and other disparities
- Community Impact (48) Impact of the justice system on communities, includes housing, employment
- Crime and Crime Rates (236) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Data Collection (62) A meta analysis of data collection systems
- Death Penalty (122) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Drug Policy (116) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Education (51) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (36) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (73) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (7) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (36) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Immigration Detainees (29) Immigration detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (297)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (38)
- Jails (66) Information and data on jails
- Juveniles (251) Juvenile justice and the prison system’s effect on kids
- Mental Health (54) Mental Health in the prison system: policy and practice
- Police and Policing Practices (70) Includes Stop and Frisk and other practices
- Pretrial Detention (21) Exploring cost and outcome of detaining people before trial or deportation (ie. instead of bail or other alternatives)
- Prison Gerrymandering (32) Research on prison-based gerrymandering (see also www.prisonersofthecensus.org)
- Prison Privatization (39)
- Prison Procedures (54)
- Prison Programs (30) Programming available for incarcerated populations
- Prison and The Economy (131) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Prisoner Labor (6) Work done in prison by incarcerated populations
- Prisoner Welfare (129) Wellbeing of incarcerated population: policies and statistics
- Public Opinion (38)
- Recidivism and Reentry (134) What makes people more or less likely to succeed upon release?
- Sentencing Policy (81) Relating to sentencing policy.
- Trials (98) Statistics about the court system and its processes
- Women (63) Impact of the justice system on women
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Thursday, January 22 2015:
- Screening Out Family Time: The for-profit video visitation industry in prisons and jails, Prison Policy Initiative. January, 2015.
- Video Visiting in Corrections: Benefits, Limitations, and Implementation Considerations, [PDF] National Institute of Corrections. December, 2014.
Wednesday, January 21 2015:
- A Natural Experiment in Reform: Analyzing Drug Policy Change In New York City, Final Report, [PDF] Vera Institute of Justice. January, 2015.
Tuesday, January 20 2015:
- Justice Reinvestment in Nebraska Analysis and Policy Framework, [PDF] The Council of State Governments Justice Center. January, 2015.
- Success-Oriented Funding: Reforming Federal Criminal Justice Grants Brennan Center for Justice. August, 2014.
- Federal Prosecution for the 21st Century Brennan Center for Justice. September, 2014.
- Campus Law Enforcement, 2011-12 [PDF] Bureau of Justice Statistics. January, 2015.
Monday, January 19 2015:
- Where Do We Go from Here? Mass Incarceration and the Struggle for Civil Rights, Economic Policy Institute. January, 2015.
- How Often and How Consistently do Symptoms Directly Precede Criminal Behavior Among Offenders With Mental Illness?, [PDF] Law and Human Behavior. 2014.
- The Death Penalty in 2014: Year End Report [PDF] Death Penalty Information Center. 2014.
- Highlights of the 2010 National Youth Gang Survey [PDF] Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. April, 2012.
- Highlights of the 2012 National Youth Gang Survey [PDF] Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. December, 2014.
- Delinquency Cases in Juvenile Court, 2011 [PDF] Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. December, 2014.
- CPD Traffic Stops and Resulting Searches in 2013 ACLU of Illinois. December, 2014.
- Relief in Sight? States Rethink the Collateral Consequences of Criminal Conviction, 2009 - 2014, Vera Institute of Justice. December, 2014.