This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new clearinghouse updates.
- Civil Rights (95) Racial and other disparities
- Community Impact (45) Impact of the justice system on communities, includes housing, employment
- Crime and Crime Rates (231) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Data Collection (62) A meta analysis of data collection systems
- Death Penalty (121) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Drug Policy (116) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Education (51) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (34) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (73) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (7) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (35) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Immigration Detainees (29) Immigration detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (289)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (37)
- Jails (64) Information and data on jails
- Juveniles (245) Juvenile justice and the prison system’s effect on kids
- Mental Health (54) Mental Health in the prison system: policy and practice
- Police and Policing Practices (66) Includes Stop and Frisk and other practices
- Pretrial Detention (21) Exploring cost and outcome of detaining people before trial or deportation (ie. instead of bail or other alternatives)
- Prison Gerrymandering (32) Research on prison-based gerrymandering (see also www.prisonersofthecensus.org)
- Prison Privatization (39)
- Prison Procedures (54)
- Prison Programs (30) Programming available for incarcerated populations
- Prison and The Economy (129) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Prisoner Labor (6) Work done in prison by incarcerated populations
- Prisoner Welfare (127) Wellbeing of incarcerated population: policies and statistics
- Public Opinion (38)
- Recidivism and Reentry (131) What makes people more or less likely to succeed upon release?
- Sentencing Policy (81) Relating to sentencing policy.
- Trials (96) Statistics about the court system and its processes
- Women (63) Impact of the justice system on women
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Monday, November 24 2014:
- Justice Reinvestment in North Carolina: Three Years Later, [PDF] The Council of State Governments Justice Center. November, 2014.
Friday, November 21 2014:
- Treatment Industrial Complex: How For-Profit Prison Corporations are Undermining Efforts to Treat and Rehabilitate Prisoners for Corporate Gain, [PDF] American Friends Service Committee; Grassroots Leadership; Southern Center for Human Rights. November, 2014.
Wednesday, November 19 2014:
- Standing with LGBT Prisoners: An Advocate's Guide to Ending Abuse and Combating Imprisonment, [PDF] National Center for Transgender Equality. 2014.
Tuesday, November 18 2014:
- Report of Inquiry into Documentation of Sex Crime Investigations by Five Detectives in the Special Victims Section of the New Orleans Police Department, [PDF] Office of Inspector General City of New Orleans. November, 2014.
- The Impact of Right to Carry Laws and the NRC Report: The Latest Lessons for the Empirical Evaluation of Law and Policy, Stanford Law School. September, 2014.
- States Project 3 Percent Increase in Prisoners by 2018 Pew Charitable Trusts Public Safety Performance Project. November, 2014.
Saturday, November 15 2014:
- Most States Cut Imprisonment and Crime Pew Charitable Trusts Public Safety Performance Project. November, 2014.
Friday, November 14 2014:
- Crimes Against the Elderly, 2003-2013 [PDF] Bureau of Justice Statistics. November, 2014.
- Profiting from Probation: America's "Offender-Funded" Probation Industry, [PDF] Human Rights Watch. February, 2014.
- Failed Policies, Forfeited Futures: A Nationwide Scorecard on Juvenile Records, Juvenile Law Center. November, 2014.
- Solitary Confinement as Torture [PDF] University of North Carolina School of Law Immigration/Human Rights Clinic. 2014.
Wednesday, November 12 2014:
- The Use of Prolonged Solitary Confinement in United States Prisons, Jails, and Detention Centers, [PDF] Center for Constitutional Rights; Legal Services for Prisoners with Children; California Prison Focus. November, 2014.
- United States' Compliance with the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman, or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, [PDF] American Civil Liberties Union. October, 2014.