Beyond producing original research, the Prison Policy Initiative edits several databases to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy. This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new research clearinghouse updates.
- Civil Rights (102) Racial and other disparities
- Community Impact (50) Impact of the justice system on communities, includes housing, employment
- Crime and Crime Rates (241) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Data Collection (62) A meta analysis of data collection systems
- Death Penalty (123) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Drug Policy (120) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Education (54) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (40) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (73) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (7) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (39) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Immigration Detainees (30) Immigration detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (312)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (39)
- Jails (69) Information and data on jails
- Juveniles (265) Juvenile justice and the prison system’s effect on kids
- Mental Health (56) Mental Health in the prison system: policy and practice
- Police and Policing Practices (77) Includes Stop and Frisk and other practices
- Pretrial Detention (21) Exploring cost and outcome of detaining people before trial or deportation (ie. instead of bail or other alternatives)
- Prison Gerrymandering (32) Research on prison-based gerrymandering (see also www.prisonersofthecensus.org)
- Prison Privatization (40)
- Prison Procedures (55)
- Prison Programs (31) Programming available for incarcerated populations
- Prison and The Economy (137) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Prisoner Labor (7) Work done in prison by incarcerated populations
- Prisoner Welfare (135) Wellbeing of incarcerated population: policies and statistics
- Public Opinion (41)
- Recidivism and Reentry (143) What makes people more or less likely to succeed upon release?
- Sentencing Policy (82) Relating to sentencing policy.
- Trials (104) Statistics about the court system and its processes
- Women (66) Impact of the justice system on women
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Tuesday, May 5 2015:
- Don't I Need A Lawyer? Pretrial Justice and the Right to Counsel at First Judicial Bail Hearing, [PDF] The Constitution Project. March, 2015.
Thursday, April 30 2015:
- San Francisco's Disproportionate Arrest of African American Women Persists [PDF] Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice. April, 2015.
Tuesday, April 28 2015:
- The Summons Report: Trends in the Issuance and Disposition of Summonses in New York City, [PDF] John Jay College of Criminal Justice. April, 2015.
Monday, April 27 2015:
- Firearm Violence Among High-Risk Emergency Department Youth After an Assault Injury, Pediatrics. May, 2015.
Thursday, April 23 2015:
- Alternatives to Incarceration in California Public Policy Institute of California. April, 2015.
- Jail Crowding: Understanding Jail Population Dynamics, [PDF] National Institute of Corrections. January, 2002.
- Re-Examining Juvenile Incarceration: High cost, poor outcomes spark shift to alternatives, Pew Charitable Trusts Public Safety Performance Project. April, 2015.
- Prison Crowding: The Long View, with Suggestions, [PDF] Ohio Criminal Sentencing Commission. March, 2011.
Wednesday, April 22 2015:
- Above the Law: An Investigation of Civil Asset Forfeiture in California, Drug Policy Alliance. April, 2015.
Tuesday, April 21 2015: