This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new clearinghouse updates.
- Civil Rights (101) Racial and other disparities
- Community Impact (49) Impact of the justice system on communities, includes housing, employment
- Crime and Crime Rates (239) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Data Collection (62) A meta analysis of data collection systems
- Death Penalty (122) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Drug Policy (120) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Education (54) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (40) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (73) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (7) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (37) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Immigration Detainees (30) Immigration detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (310)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (38)
- Jails (68) Information and data on jails
- Juveniles (261) Juvenile justice and the prison system’s effect on kids
- Mental Health (55) Mental Health in the prison system: policy and practice
- Police and Policing Practices (74) Includes Stop and Frisk and other practices
- Pretrial Detention (21) Exploring cost and outcome of detaining people before trial or deportation (ie. instead of bail or other alternatives)
- Prison Gerrymandering (32) Research on prison-based gerrymandering (see also www.prisonersofthecensus.org)
- Prison Privatization (40)
- Prison Procedures (55)
- Prison Programs (31) Programming available for incarcerated populations
- Prison and The Economy (136) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Prisoner Labor (6) Work done in prison by incarcerated populations
- Prisoner Welfare (134) Wellbeing of incarcerated population: policies and statistics
- Public Opinion (40)
- Recidivism and Reentry (142) What makes people more or less likely to succeed upon release?
- Sentencing Policy (82) Relating to sentencing policy.
- Trials (101) Statistics about the court system and its processes
- Women (65) Impact of the justice system on women
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Monday, March 30 2015:
- In Brief: Examining the Changing Racial Composition of Three States' Prison Populations, [PDF] The Council of State Governments Justice Center. March, 2015.
Thursday, March 26 2015:
- Reentry and the Ties that Bind: An Examination of Social Ties, Employment, and Recidivism, [PDF] Justice Quarterly. April, 2011.
- Seeing Black: Race, Crime, and Visual Processing, [PDF] Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2004.
Tuesday, March 24 2015:
- Effects of Policies Designed to Keep Firearms from High-Risk Individuals Annual Review of Public Health. March, 2015.
Friday, March 20 2015:
- 2014 WI Prison End-of-Year Population Snapshot on 12/31/2014 [PDF] Wisconsin Department of Corrections. March, 2015.
- Corrections Infrastructure Spending in California Public Policy Institute of California. March, 2015.
Wednesday, March 18 2015:
- Staying Connected: Keeping Justice-Involved Youth "Close to Home" in New York City, [PDF] John Jay College of Criminal Justice Research and Evaluation Center. March, 2015.