If you’ve got a minute to think about civil liberties, here’s how to spend it.
We share our favorite recent episodes of Bill Newman's excellent podcast, each just over a minute long and covering a current threat to civil liberties.
by Wanda Bertram, January 22, 2018
Attorney, director of the Western Massachusetts ACLU, and friend of the Prison Policy Initiative Bill Newman publishes an excellent weekly podcast that highlights threats to civil liberties and what you can do. (Don’t be intimidated – they’re just 90 seconds long.) (website | iTunes)
Here are some of the recent highlights that are still timely:
- Older? Want a job? Use Facebook?
- Can a Juvenile still be sentenced to life without parole?
- Does the maximum sentence mean the maximum –- or not?
- Trump v. Mueller
- Men at Work
- The War on Women (cont.)
- Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness with Lilly Ledbetter
- Donald Trump is permanently reshaping American law.
- Solitary confinement: America’s Ongoing Medical Experiment
- When Cops Are Robbers (On Civil Asset Forfeiture)
- Lawyer arrested for exercising her right to remain silent (and then given her Miranda rights, starting with you have the right to remain silent)