HELP US END MASS INCARCERATION
The Prison Policy Initiative uses research, advocacy, and organizing to dismantle mass incarceration. We’ve been in this movement for 20 years, thanks to individual donors like you.
Can you help us sustain this work?
Peter Wagner, Executive Director
Number of people in prison in 2020 from each Jersey City neighborhood
Sources and methodology
- Jersey City neighborhoods
- This is the Jersey City neighborhood as last modified in 2018 by the city.
- Number of people in state prison from each Jersey City neighborhood, 2020
- This is the number of people from each Jersey City neighborhoods in state prison as of 2020. See the methodology section of the report.
- Census population, 2020
- This is the population of the Jersey City neighborhoods as reported in the 2020 Census.
- Total population, 2020
- This is the total population of the Jersey City neighborhoods as reflected in the 2020 Census plus the imprisoned population.
- Imprisonment rate per 100,000
- This is the number of imprisoned people divided by the total population and then multiplied by 100,000. It allows ready comparison of the frequency of imprisonment between each Jersey City neighborhoods of different population sizes.