HELP US END MASS INCARCERATION
The Prison Policy Initiative uses research, advocacy, and organizing to dismantle mass incarceration. We’ve been in this movement for 20 years, thanks to individual donors like you.
Can you help us sustain this work?
Peter Wagner, Executive Director
Number of people in prison in 2020 from each Philadelphia neighborhood
Sources and methodology
- ZIP code
- This is the Census Bureau’s generalized representation of United States Postal Service ZIP Code areas within the city of Philadelphia, as defined by the Census Bureau for Census 2020.
- Philadelphia neighborhoods
- These are the approximate neighborhood names as used by the annual Philadelphia State of the City reports from the Pew Charitable Trusts. The ZIP codes used here may not perfectly match neighborhood boundaries in Philadelphia and should therefore be recognized as an approximation of neighborhoods.
- Number of people in state prison from each Philadelphia neighborhood, 2020
- This is the number of people from each Philadelphia neighborhood in state prison as of 2020. See the methodology section of the report.
- Census population, 2020
- This is the population of the Philadelphia neighborhood as reported in the 2020 Census.
- Total population, 2020
- This is the total population of the Philadelphia neighborhood as reflected in the 2020 Census plus the imprisoned population.
- Imprisonment rate per 100,000
- This is the number of imprisoned people divided by the total population and then multiplied by 100,000. It allows ready comparison of the frequency of imprisonment between each Philadelphia neighborhood of different population sizes.