The graphs on this page are from our 50 State Incarceration Profiles.
Change over time
See also our similar graph showing total numbers rather than rates.
See also our detailed graphs about Whites,
in California prisons and jails.
The big picture
Other research and materials on California
- Are campaign contributions the new “commission”? Analysis of Securus’s contributions in Sacramento by Peter Wagner, August 12, 2015
- Victory: Santa Barbara County scraps harmful jail letter ban policy, by Leah Sakala, Prison Policy Initiative Blog, October 3, 2014
- Governor Brown signs prison anti-sterilization bill, by Bernadette Rabuy, September 26, 2014
- New Youth CineMedia video documents Santa Barbara struggle to overturn jail letter ban, by Leah Sakala, April 2, 2014
- Step one to reduce recidivism in Santa Barbara County: stop banning letters from home, by Leah Sakala, Prison Policy Initiative Blog, August 28, 2013
- Santa Clara County jail inmates will continue receiving mail, by Joe Rodriguez, San Jose Mercury News, August 9, 2013
- California Senate passes bill to end prison-based gerrymandering, press release from Prison Gerrymandering Blog, August 31, 2011
- Importing Constituents: Incarcerated People and Political Clout in California, by Aleks Kajstura and Peter Wagner, March 2010
- California’s budget secret: Prisoners form core of forest fire fighting army, October 2003
- How does the California incarceration rate measure up in the global context?
- Prison Policy Initiative Research Clearinghouse reports about California