The graphs on this page are from our 50 State Incarceration Profiles.
Change over time
Also see these California graphs:
See also our detailed graphs about Whites,
in California prisons and jails.
The big picture
Other research and materials on California
- Are campaign contributions the new “commission”? Analysis of Securus’s contributions in Sacramento by Peter Wagner, August 12, 2015
- Victory: Santa Barbara County scraps harmful jail letter ban policy, by Leah Sakala, Prison Policy Initiative Blog, October 3, 2014
- Governor Brown signs prison anti-sterilization bill, by Bernadette Rabuy, September 26, 2014
- New Youth CineMedia video documents Santa Barbara struggle to overturn jail letter ban, by Leah Sakala, April 2, 2014
- Step one to reduce recidivism in Santa Barbara County: stop banning letters from home, by Leah Sakala, Prison Policy Initiative Blog, August 28, 2013
- Santa Clara County jail inmates will continue receiving mail, by Joe Rodriguez, San Jose Mercury News, August 9, 2013
- California Senate passes bill to end prison-based gerrymandering, press release from Prison Gerrymandering Blog, August 31, 2011
- Importing Constituents: Incarcerated People and Political Clout in California, by Aleks Kajstura and Peter Wagner, March 2010
- California’s budget secret: Prisoners form core of forest fire fighting army, October 2003
- How does the California incarceration rate measure up in the global context?
- Prison Policy Initiative Research Clearinghouse reports about California