The graphs on this page are from our 50 State Incarceration Profiles.
Change over time
Also see these Alabama graphs:
See also our detailed graphs about Whites
in Alabama prisons and jails.
The big picture
Other research and materials on Alabama
- Alabama’s new phone rates go into effect by Aleks Kajstura, June 30, 2015
- Alabama inmates can call home for less under new phone plan approved by Public Service Commission by Mike Cason, Alabama News, October 8, 2014
- Census’ prison population tabulation adds hurdles to redistricting in Alabama by Aleks Kajstura, July 1, 2014
- Alabama to rein in third-party payment profit sharing in prison telephone industry by Peter Wagner, July 21, 2014
- Alabama should implement proposed prison phone reform, by Aleks Kajstura, Prison Policy Initiative Blog, November 14, 2013
- Alabama seeks to curb high cost of prison and jail phone calls by Aleks Kajstura, October 9, 2013
- How does the Alabama incarceration rate measure up in the global context?
- Prison Policy Initiative Research Clearinghouse reports about Alabama