Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- COVID-19 (59) The pandemic’s impact on prisons and jails
- Community Impact (238) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (361)
- Crime and Crime Rates (373) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (160) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (25)
- Drug Policy (213) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (282) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (120) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (137) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (100) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (152) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (47) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (253) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (67) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (465)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (58)
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Friday, November 4 2022:
- A community response approach to mental health and substance abuse crises reduced crime
Thomas S. Dee and James Pyne.
- Voices from Within the Federal Bureau of Prisons:
A System Designed to Silence and Dehumanize,
More than Our Crimes and Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs.
- Provision of Air Conditioning and Heat-Related Mortality in Texas Prisons
Julianna Skarha et al.
- Prison Labor in Arizona:
A year-long investigation, Paywall :(
Arizona Republic and KJZZ News.
- Electronic Monitoring Fees:
A 50-State Survey of the Costs Assessed to People on E-Supervision,
Fines and Fees Justice Center.
- Criminal Justice Through Management:
From Police, Prosecutors, Courts, and Prisons to a Modern Administrative Agency,
Edward L. Rubin and Malcolm M. Feeley.
- Justice System Disparities:
Black-White National Imprisonment Trends, 2000 to 2020,
Council on Criminal Justice.
- Voting From Jail
Anna Harvey and Orion Taylor.
- Exceptionally Lethal:
American Police Killings in a Comparative Perspective,
Paul J. Hirschfield.
- Reducing Deaths in Law Enforcement Custody:
Identifying High-Priority Needs for the Criminal Justice System,
Duren Banks et al.
- Justice by Geography:
The Role of Monetary Sanctions Across Communities,
Gabriela Kirk et al.
- Obscuring the Truth:
How Misinformation is Skewing the Conversation about Pretrial Justice Reforms in Illinois,
End Money Bond.
- Race and Wrongful Convictions in the United States, 2022
National Registry of Exonerations.