Beyond producing original research, the Prison Policy Initiative edits several databases to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy. This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new research clearinghouse updates.
- Community Impact (155) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (258)
- Crime and Crime Rates (317) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (145) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (8)
- Drug Policy (163) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (198) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (92) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (96) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (83) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (60) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (44) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (89) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (43) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (397)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (48)
- Jails (156) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Thursday, December 14 2017:
Wednesday, December 13 2017:
Treating an Illness, Ending a War,
The Sentencing Project.
- "Not in it for Justice":
How California's Pretrial Detention and Bail System Unfairly Punishes Poor People,
Human Rights Watch.
- "Don't Look Around":
A Window into Inhumane Conditions for Youth at NORCOR,
Disability Rights Oregon.
Tuesday, December 12 2017:
- "Money Bail":
Making Ohio a More Dangerous Place to Live,
The Buckeye Institute.
Thursday, December 7 2017:
Wednesday, December 6 2017:
Tuesday, December 5 2017: