Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- Community Impact (163) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (272)
- Crime and Crime Rates (331) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (147) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (10)
- Drug Policy (170) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (218) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (94) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (104) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (86) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (73) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (45) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (112) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (44) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (414)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (52)
- Jails (172) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Wednesday, February 20 2019:
Tuesday, February 19 2019:
- Health Insurance Trends and Access to Behavioral Healthcare
Among Justice-Involved Individuals--United States, 2008-2014,
Tyler N. A. Winkelman et al.
- Release from Prison -- A High Risk of Death for Former Inmates
Ingrid A. Binswanger et al..
- A randomized clinical trial of methadone maintenance for prisoners:
Findings at 6 months post-release,
Michael S. Gordon et al..
- A Study of Methadone Maintenance For Male Prisoners:
3-Month Postrelease Outcomes,
Timothy W. Kinlock et al.
- Why It's Inappropriate Not to Treat Incarcerated Patients with Opioid Agonist Therapy
Sarah E. Wakeman.
- Potential drivers of HIV acquisition in African-American women related to mass incarceration:
An agent-based modelling study,
Joella Adams et al.
- Jail Inmates in 2016
Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- State of Phone Justice:
Local jails, state prisons and private phone providers,
Prison Policy Initiative.
- The Unfair Criminalization of Gay and Transgender Youth:
An Overview of the Experiences of LGBT Youth in the Juvenile Justice System,
Center for American Progress.
- The Overrepresentation of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Questioning, Gender Nonconforming and Transgender Youth
Within the Child Welfare to Juvenile Justice Crossover Population,
Angela Irvine and Aisha Canfield.
- Confronting California's Continuing Prison Crisis:
The Prevalence And Severity Of Mental Illness Among California Prisoners On The Rise,
Stanford Justice Advocacy Project.
- Every Three Seconds:
Unlocking Police Data on Arrests,
Vera Institute of Justice.
- Where Pretrial Improvements Are Happening
Pretrial Justice Institute.
- The Wisconsin Community Corrections Story
[PDF] Columbia University Justice Lab.
- Undue Influence:
A Prosecutor's Role in Parole Proceeding,
R. Michael Cassidy.
- Compassionate Release Policy Reform:
Physicians as Advocates for Human Dignity,
Andreas Mitchell and Brie Williams,.
- Unlocking the Black Box:
How the Prosecutorial Transparency Act Will Empower Communities and Help End Mass Incarceration,
- Guidelines for Indigent Defense Caseloads:
A Report to the Texas Indigent Defense Commission,
Public Policy Research Institute.
- Juvenile Arrests, 2016
Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.