Looking for resources about COVID-19 and the criminal justice system?
See our regularly-updated coronavirus page.
Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- Community Impact (185) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (297)
- Crime and Crime Rates (341) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (155) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (17)
- Drug Policy (201) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (239) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (112) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (112) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (92) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (96) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (46) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (183) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (61) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (435)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (53)
- Jails (202) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Friday, September 11 2020:
Wednesday, September 9 2020:
- Correctional Populations in the United States, 2017-2018
Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- How Many Complaints Against Police Officers Can Be Abated by Incapacitating A Few "Bad Apples?"
Aaron Chalfin and Jacob Kaplan.
- Officer-Involved Shootings in Texas:
Texas Justice Initiative.
- Racial Disparities in the Massachusetts Criminal System
The Criminal Justice Policy Program, Harvard Law School.
- The Effects of Holistic Defense on Criminal Justice Outcomes
- In the Shadows:
A Review of the Research on Plea Bargaining,
Vera Institute of Justice.
- Lives on the Line:
Women with Incarcerated Loved Ones and the Impact of COVID-19 Behind Bars,
Essie Justice Group and Color of Change.
Tuesday, September 8 2020:
- The Many Roads to Reintegration:
A 50-State Report on Laws Restoring Rights and Opportunities After Arrest or Conviction,
Collateral Consequences Resource Center.
- The Science of Solitary:
Expanding the Harmfulness Narrative,
- Polluting our prisons?
An examination of Oklahoma prison locations and toxic releases, 2011-2017, Paywall :(
Maggie Leon-Corwin, Jericho R McElroy, Michelle L Estes, Jon Lewis, Michael A Long.
- State supervision, punishment and poverty:
The case of drug bans on welfare receipt,
- Local Labor Market Inequality in the Age of Mass Incarceration
Luke Petach and Anita Alves Pena.
- 96 Deaths in Detention:
A View of COVID-19 in the Federal Bureau of Prisons as Captured in Death Notices,
World Peace Foundation at the Fletcher School.
- Law Enforcement Super Pacs and the Fight for Reform
Democratic Policy Center.
- Which Side Are We On:
Can Labor Support #BlackLivesMatter and Police Unions?,
- Impacts of Private Prison Contracting on Inmate Time Served and Recidivism
- More Work to Do:
Analysis of Probation and Parole in the United States, 2017-2018,
Kendra Bradner, Vincent Schiraldi, Natasha Mejia, and Evangeline Lopoo.
- Life Years Lost to Police Encounters in the United States
- An Examination of Women's Experiences with Reporting Sexual Victimization Behind Prison Walls
April Surrell and Ida M. Johnson.