Looking for resources about COVID-19 and the criminal justice system?
See our regularly-updated coronavirus page.
Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- Community Impact (193) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (325)
- Crime and Crime Rates (349) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (158) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (19)
- Drug Policy (203) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (253) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (114) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (123) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (98) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (114) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (46) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (219) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (66) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (446)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (55)
- Jails (221) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Friday, June 11 2021:
- Just over half of incarcerated people are vaccinated, despite being locked in COVID-19 epicenters
Prison Policy Initiative.
- The U.S. Sentencing Commission's Recidivism Studies:
Myopic, Misleading, and Doubling Down on Imprisonment,
Nora V. Demleitner.
- Age Gradient in Women's Crime:
The Role of Welfare Reform, Paywall :(
Hope Corman, Dhaval M. Dave, and Nancy E. Reichman.
- Youth in Adult and Juvenile Correctional Facilities:
Comparison of Services and Behavioral Management, Paywall :(
Insun Park and Christopher J. Sullivan.
Tuesday, June 8 2021:
Wednesday, June 2 2021:
- The Impacts of Solitary Confinement
Vera Institute of Justice.
- Mapping U.S. Jails' Use of Restrictive Housing:
Trends, Disparities, and Other Forms of Lockdown,
Vera Institute of Justice.
- Prisons and Penny-Pinching:
Finding Budget Savings in the Time of COVID-19,
Texas Public Policy Coalition.
- Paid Your Debt to Society?
Court-related Financial Obligations and Community Supervision during the First Year after Release from Prison, Paywall :(
Nathan W. Link.
- Carceral-community epidemiology, structural racism, and COVID-19 disparities
Eric Reinhart, Daniel L. Chen.
- Authoritarian exclusion and laissez-faire inclusion:
Comparing the punishment of men convicted of sex offenses in England & Wales and Norway,
Alice Ievins, Kristian Mjaland.
- The carceral production of transgender poverty:
How racialized gender policing deprives transgender women of housing and safety,
- Risk factors for suicide in prisons:
a systematic review and meta-analysis,
Shaoling Zhong et al..
- Accessing justice:
The impact of discretion, 'deservedness' and distributive justice on the equitable allocation of policing resources,
Sarah Charman, Emma Williams.
- Decoupling Crisis Response from Policing --
A Step Toward Equitable Psychiatric Emergency Services,
New England Journal of Medicine.
- Juvenile Life Without Parole: