Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- COVID-19 (72) The pandemic’s impact on prisons and jails
- Community Impact (257) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (389)
- Crime and Crime Rates (381) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (160) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (27)
- Drug Policy (220) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (289) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (124) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (142) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (103) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (161) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (47) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (277) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (67) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (473)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (58)
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Friday, November 3 2023:
- The Legislative Primer Series on Front-End Justice:
Deflection and Diversion,
National Conference of State Legislatures.
- Where people in prison come from:
The geography of mass incarceration in Rhode Island,
Prison Policy Initiative, the Redistricting Data Hub (Peter Horton and Spencer Nelson), Common Cause Rhode Island, and the American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island.
- Extreme Heat and Suicide Watch Incidents Among Incarcerated Men
David H. Cloud, Brie Williams, and Regine Haardorfer et al.
- "Smoke Screen":
Experience with the Incarcerated Grievance Program in New York State Prisons,
Correctional Association of New York.
- Suicide in North Carolina Jails
Disability Rights North Carolina.
- Casting Out from the Inside:
Abolishing Felony Disenfranchisement in New York,
- The State of New York City Jails:
One Year of Measuring Jail Operations and Management on the Comptroller's DOC Dashboard,
Office of the New York City Comptroller.
- Multnomah County Pretrial System Assessment
Justice System Partners.
- Increasing Court-Appearance Rates and Other Benefits of Live-Caller Telephone Court-Date Reminders:
The Jefferson County, Colorado, FTA Pilot Project and Resulting Court Date Notification Program,
Timothy R. Schnake, Michael R. Jones, and Dorian M. Wilderman.