Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- COVID-19 (65) The pandemic’s impact on prisons and jails
- Community Impact (241) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (370)
- Crime and Crime Rates (376) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (160) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (26)
- Drug Policy (215) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (282) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (123) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (139) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (101) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (154) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (47) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (264) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (67) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (468)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (58)
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Friday, January 27 2023:
- Changes in the Use of Telehealth Services and Use of Technology
for Communication in U.S. Community Supervision Agencies Since COVID-19,
Jill Viglione and Thuy Nguyen.
- Inside Illinois Civil Commitment:
Treatment Behind Razor Wire,
Civil Commitment Working Group Illinois.
- Department of Corrections: Significant Deficiencies Demonstrate Need for Overhaul of the Prisoner Grievance Process
Vermont State Auditor's Office.
- Using the Americans with Disabilities Act to Reduce Overdose Deaths
David Howard Sinkman and Gregory Dorchak.
- History of Incarceration and Its Association With Geriatric and Chronic Health Outcomes in Older Adulthood
Ilana R. Grossman et al.
- Can There Be Acceptable Prison Health Care?
Looking Back on the 1970s,
Susan M. Reverby.
- Legal Reactivity:
Correctional Health Care Certifications as Responses to Litigation,
Spencer Headworth and Callie Zaborenko.
- Right to a Healthy Prison Environment:
Health Care in Custody Under the Prism of Torture,
Juan E. Mendez.
- Performance Measures for Medication-assisted Treatment in Correctional Settings:
A Framework for Implementation,
Legislative Analysis and Public Policy Association.
- The benefits of live court date reminder phone calls during pretrial case processing Springer
- An eye on reform:
Examining decisions, procedures, and outcomes of the Oregon Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision release process,
Christopher M. Campbell et al.
- Reducing Racial Inequality in Crime and Justice
National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine.
- Racial Disparities in the Administration of Discipline in New York State Prisons
State of New York Offices of the Inspector General.
- Sticky Stigma:
The Impact of Incarceration on Perceptions of Personality Traits and Deservingness, Paywall :(
Bridget Brew et al.
- Final Report of the Illinois Resentencing Task Force
Illinois Resentencing Task Force.
- Reflections on Long Prison Sentences:
A Conversation with Crime Survivors, Formerly Incarcerated People, and Family Members,
Susan Howley, Council on Criminal Justice.
- No Justice, No Pleas:
Subverting Mass Incarceration Through Defendant Collective Action,
Andrew Manuel Crespo.
- Pregnancy, Systematic Disregard and Degradation, and Carceral Institutions
Lauren Kuhlik and Carolyn Sufrin.