Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- Community Impact (170) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (280)
- Crime and Crime Rates (336) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (150) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (11)
- Drug Policy (179) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (223) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (99) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (106) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (87) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (82) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (46) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (126) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (53) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (413)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (52)
- Jails (180) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Friday, August 30 2019:
Wednesday, August 28 2019:
- Association of Parental Incarceration With Psychiatric and Functional Outcomes of Young Adults
Elizabeth J. Gifford, Lindsey Eldred Kozecke, and Megan Golonka.
- Examining the relationship between U.S. incarceration rates and population health at the county level
Robert R. Weidner and Jennifer Schultz.
- The Treatment of People with Mental Illness in the Criminal Justice System:
The Example of Oneida County, New York,
Alexander Black, Kylie Davis, Kenneth Gray, Connor O'Shea, Alexander Scheuer.
- The Effectiveness of Mental Health Courts in Reducing Recidivism and Police Contact:
A Systematic Review,
Desmond Loong, Sarah Bonato, Jan Barnsley, Carolyn S. Dewa.
- The Contagiousness of Police Violence
Thibaut Horel, Trevor Campbell, Lorenzo Masoero, Raj Agrawal, Andrew Papachristos and Daria Roithmayr.
- Decriminalization and Depenalization of Marijuana Possession:
A Case Study of Enforcement Outcomes in Prince George's County,
Meghan Kozlowski, Emily Glazener, James A. Mitchell, James P. Lynch, Jinney Smith.
- Fighting Crime or Raising Revenue?
Testing Opposing Views of Forfeiture.,
- Confirmation Bias and Other Systemic Causes of Wrongful Convictions:
A Sentinel Events Perspective,
Kim Rossmo and Joycelyn Pollock.
- Diversity on the Force:
Where Police Don't Mirror Communities,
- Sentences of Incarceration Decline Sharply, Public Safety Improves During Kim Foxx's Second Year in Office
New data portal demonstrates benefit of criminal justice reform, transparency,
The People's Lobby, Reclaim Chicago, and Chicago Appleseed Fund for Justice.
Tuesday, August 27 2019:
Monday, August 26 2019:
Friday, August 23 2019:
- Collateral Consequences:
The Crossroads of Punishment, Redemption, and the Effects on Communities,
The United States Commission on Civil Rights.
- Incarceration and opioid withdrawal:
The experiences of methadone patients and out-of-treatment heroin users,
Mitchell et al..
ICE Confines Some Detainees with Mental Illness in Solitary for Months,
Project On Government Oversight.
- An Analysis of Texas Jail Bookings:
How Texas Counties Could Save Millions of Dollars by Safely Diverting People From Jail,
The Role of Police in Ending Mass Incarceration,
Vera Institute of Justice.
- The 911 Call Processing System:
A Review of the Literature as it Relates to Policing,
Vera Institute of Justice.
- Opportunity Costs:
Unequal Justice in Alabama's Community Corrections Programs,
Southern Poverty Law Center.
- The Agony & the Ecstasy of #MeToo:
The Hidden Costs of Reliance on Carceral Politics,
Guy Padraic Hamilton-Smith.
- Misdemeanor Appeals
Nancy J. King and Michael Heise.