Looking for resources about COVID-19 and the criminal justice system?
See our regularly-updated coronavirus page.
Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- Community Impact (187) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (311)
- Crime and Crime Rates (347) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (157) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (19)
- Drug Policy (202) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (248) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (114) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (119) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (98) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (100) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (46) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (210) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (66) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (445)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (54)
- Jails (214) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Thursday, April 8 2021:
- Misdemeanor Prosecution
Amanda Y. Agan, Jennifer L. Doleac, and Anna Harvey.
- COVID-19 Testing in State Prisons
Council on Criminal Justice.
- Immigrant Sanctuary Policies and Crime-Reporting Behavior:
A Multilevel Analysis of Reports of Crime Victimization to Law Enforcement, 1980 to 2004, Paywall :(
Ricardo D. Martinez-Schuldt and Daniel E. Martinez.
- What Jails Cost:
A Look at Spending in America's Large Cities,
Vera Institute of Justice.
- Applying Procedural Justice in Community Supervision
Assessment of Pilot Testing in the Georgia Department of Community Supervision,
- Who Controls Criminal Law?
Racial Threat and the Adoption of State Sentencing Law, 1975 to 2012,
Scott W. Duxbury.
Tuesday, March 30 2021:
Monday, March 29 2021:
- Foster Care, Permanency, and Risk of Prison Entry
Font et al..
- The Consequences Are Black and White:
Race and Poor Health Following Incarceration, Paywall :(
Julie L. Kuper and Jillian J. Turanovic.
- Hidden Figures:
Rating the COVID Data Transparency of Prisons, Jails, and Juvenile Agencies,
COVID, Corrections, and Oversight Project.
- Locking Up My Generation:
Cohort Differences in Prison Spells Over the Life Course, Paywall :(
- Social Fabric:
A New Model for Public Safety and Vital Neighborhoods,
The Square One Project.
- Correctional Facility and Inmate Locations:
Urban and Rural Status Patterns,
Center for Administrative Records Research and Applications.
- Revolving Doors:
Examining the Effect of Race and Ethnicity on Discretionary Decision-Making in Parole Revocations,
Tri Keah S. Henry.