Beyond producing original research, the Prison Policy Initiative edits several databases to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy. This page contains links to virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online, organized by category and publication date. If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right) for new research clearinghouse updates.
- Community Impact (161) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (262)
- Crime and Crime Rates (324) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (145) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (9)
- Drug Policy (167) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (204) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (92) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (99) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (84) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (64) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (44) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (91) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (43) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (407)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (48)
- Jails (165) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the clearinghouse:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Thursday, March 22 2018:
- Confronting Criminal Justice Debt
A Guide for Policy Reform,
Criminal Justice Policy Program at Harvard Law School.
- Cuyahoga County Bail Task Force:
Report and Recommendations,
Cuyahoga County Bail Task Force.
- Presumed Innocent for a Price:
The Impact of Cash Bail Across Eight New York Counties,
New York Civil Liberties Union.
- Advancing Bail Reform in Maryland:
Progress and Possibilities,
Baltimore City and Prince George's County Branches of the NAACP.
- Youth Transfer:
The Importance of Individualized Factor Review,
Campaign for Youth Justice.
Tuesday, March 20 2018:
Thursday, March 15 2018:
Monday, March 12 2018:
- Plea Bargaining:
From Patent Unfairness to Transparent Justice,
Mirko Bagaric, Julie N. Clarke, and William Rininger.
Thursday, March 8 2018: