Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- Community Impact (167) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (278)
- Crime and Crime Rates (336) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (150) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (11)
- Drug Policy (178) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (223) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (99) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (105) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (87) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (82) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (46) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (124) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (51) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (413)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (52)
- Jails (178) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Monday, August 12 2019:
Friday, August 9 2019:
Wednesday, August 7 2019:
- Capital Punishment, 2017:
Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Use of Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Criminal Justice Settings
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- LGBTQ Youth of Color Impacted by the Child Welfare and Juvenile Justice Systems:
A Research Agenda,
UCLA Williams Institute.
- Managing Mental Illness in Jails:
Sheriffs Are Finding Promising New Approaches,
Police Executive Research Forum.
- Police-Mental Health Collaborations:
A Framework for Implementing Effective Law Enforcement Responses for People Who Have Mental Health Needs,
Council of State Governments.
- Network exposure and excessive use of force:
Investigating the social transmission of police misconduct,
Marie Ouellet, Sadaf Hashimi, Jason Gravel, and Andrew V. Papachristos.
- Changes in Enforcement of Low-Level and Felony Offenses Post-Ferguson:
An Analysis of Arrests in St. Louis, Missouri,
Lee Ann Slocum, Claire Greene, Beth M. Huebner, and Richard Rosenfeld.
- Examining Judicial Pretrial Release Decisions:
The Influence of Risk Assessments and Race,
Brian P. Schaefer and Tom Hughes,.
- As Wall Street Banks Sever Ties, Private Prison Companies Stand to Lose Over $1.9B in Future Financing
Center for Popular Democracy, In the Public Interest, and Public Accountability Initiative.
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Arrests for Drug Possession After California Proposition 47, 2011-2016
Mooney et al..
- Cumulative Sexual Victimization and Mental Health Outcomes Among Incarcerated Women
Jennifer Hartsfield, Susan F. Sharp, and Sonya Conner.
Tuesday, August 6 2019:
Tuesday, July 30 2019:
- Fulfilling the Promises of Free Exercise for All:
Muslim Prisoner Accommodation in State Prisons,
- The Impact of Police on Criminal Justice Reform:
Evidence from Cincinnati, Ohio,
Robin S. Engel, Nicholas Corsaro, M. Murat Ozer.
- New York, New York:
Highlights of the 2019 Bail Reform Law,
Vera Institute of Justice.