Looking for resources about COVID-19 and the criminal justice system?
See our regularly-updated coronavirus page.
Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- COVID-19 (56) The pandemic’s impact on prisons and jails
- Community Impact (219) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (348)
- Crime and Crime Rates (367) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (160) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (23)
- Drug Policy (212) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (275) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (120) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (136) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (98) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (140) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (47) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (237) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (67) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (459)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (58)
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Monday, May 9 2022:
Friday, May 6 2022:
- Three State Prison Oversight During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Pennsylvania Prison Society, John Howard Association, and Correctional Association of New York.
- Cold, Rotting & Moldy Meals:
Food Oppression in the Orange County Jails,
Stop the Musick Coalition.
- The Psychological Effects of Solitary Confinement:
A Systematic Critique,
- Analysis of "Stand Your Ground" Self-defense Laws and Statewide Rates of Homicides and Firearm Homicides
Michelle Degli Esposti et al.
- Drug Arrests Stayed High Even as Imprisonment Fell From 2009 to 2019
Pew Charitable Trusts.
- A Look Inside the Black Box of New York State's Criminal Justice Data
Measures for Justice.
- Understanding Trends in Jail Populations, 2014 to 2019:
A Multi-Site Analysis,
Data Collaborative for Justice at John Jay College.
- System Involvement Among LBQ Girls and Women
UCLA Williams Institute.
- Contacts with the Police and the Over-Representation of Indigenous Peoples in The Canadian Criminal Justice System
Jean-Denis David and Megan Mitchell.
- Beyond the count: A deep dive into state prison populations
Prison Policy Initiative.
- Executive Inaction: States and the federal government fail to use commutations as a release mechanism
Prison Policy Initiative.
- Recidivating Patterns of Individuals Commuted in 2020
Oregon Criminal Justice Commission.
- Reducing the Health Harms of Incarceration
Aspen Health Strategy Group.
- Felony Murder: An On-Ramp for Extreme Sentencing
- Race and Ethnicity Differences in Police Contact and Perceptions of and Attitudes Toward the Police Among Youth
Kathryn Foster, Melissa S. Jones, and Hayley Pierce.