HELP US END MASS INCARCERATION
The Prison Policy Initiative uses research, advocacy, and organizing to dismantle mass incarceration. We’ve been in this movement for 20 years, thanks to individual donors like you.
Can you help us sustain this work?
Peter Wagner, Executive Director
Number of people in state prison or a local jail in 2020 from each Virginia State Senate district
Sources and methodology
- State Senate Districts
- This is the Virginia State Senate district as drawn in 2021.
- Number of people in state prison or a local jail from each State Senate district, 2020
- This is the number of people from each State Senate district in state prison or a local jail as of 2020. See the methodology section of the report.
- Census population, 2020
- This is the population of the State Senate district as reported in the 2020 Census.
- Total population, 2020
- This is the total population of the State Senate district as reflected in the 2020 Census plus the imprisoned population.
- Incarceration rate per 100,000
- This is the number of incarcerated people divided by the total population and then multiplied by 100,000. It allows ready comparison of the frequency of incarceration between each State Senate district of different population sizes.